Black Chana Masala/ Kadalekaalu saaru is a traditional and delicious dish from Karnataka made from black chickpeas. It’s a spicy, healthy, flavourful dish that goes perfectly with steamed rice or roti. Adding a small potato(and/or brinjal), enhances the flavour and tastes even better the next day. Include a tbsp of ghee to make it yummier. Continue reading if you want to know how to make this recipe.
Prep time: 10 hours
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 10 hours 20 minutes
1 cup black chana(Black chickpeas), soaked overnight & drained
3 cups water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green chilli, slit into half
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1.5 tablespoons sambar powder
Tomato paste, of 2 large tomatoes
1 medium potato, cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon garam masala(optional)
Coriander leaves, chopped
Salt to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a pressure cooker.
- Once hot, crackle mustard seeds. Then saute ginger, garlic, green chilli, chopped onion until soft.
- Add turmeric powder, sambar powder, and sauté on low heat for 30 seconds to a minute. Make sure to not burn the masala powders.
- Pour in freshly ground tomato paste, stir well and cook for a minute.
- Add potato cubes and black chana. Fry them for a minute.
- Pour 3 cups of water, add garam masala (optional) and salt to taste. Stir everything well and let the mixture come to a boil. At this point check for salt & spice, adjust if required.
- Pressure cook on medium heat until black chickpeas is tender (usually 6-7 whistles are sufficient).
- Let cooker depressurize. If necessary, add more water to adjust consistency of the curry.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve with hot rice or roti.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference
- To expedite cooking time, soak black chickpeas for 10-15 hours.
- Black chana masala can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 day.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Did you try this recipe? Let me know how you liked it! 🙂
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤