This stir fry is yet another healthy and yummy side dish to eat with chapatis or rice-dal. Bottle Gourd or calabash is a highly nutritious water-based vegetable that’s used to make many delicious recipes, and bottle gourd stir fry is one of those. It’s healthy, tasty, and super easy-to-prepare, making it a perfect weekday meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2-3 adult servings
1 medium-sized bottle gourd
100g of green peas, frozen or fresh
2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoons chana dal
½ teaspoon minced ginger
2 dried red chilies, split into half
A pinch of hing
6-7 curry leaves
1 small red onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
2-3 tablespoons of grated coconut
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Salt to taste
- Wash bottle gourd and cut them into 1/2-inch cubes and keep them soaked in water until used.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cooking pan.
- Add mustard seeds, and allow them to pop.
- Add chana dal and fry them until golden brown.
- Add minced ginger, dried red chili, Hing, and curry leaves.
- Add red onion and sauté until translucent.
- Transfer the cut cubes of the bottle gourd into the pan. Then add green peas, turmeric powder, and salt to taste and sauté for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Cover and cook on low-medium heat for 10 minutes or until bottle gourd well cooked.
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with grated coconut and cilantro. Serve hot with chapati/rotis.
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
- Usually bottle gourd does not need the addition of water to cook. But if you feel the need, you can add about 20-30 ml of water and cook covered.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤