Pepper rasam is a traditional south Indian dish prepared using tamarind juice, tomato, curry leaves, black pepper, chilli, and other spices. It is a common stock/ soup present in most of the south Indian meals. It’s a tangy, spicy, easy-to-prepare dish that tastes best if eaten with hot steamed rice. It can also be had as soup. Continue reading if you want to know how to prepare this delicious pepper rasam.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
3 cups water (500 ml)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 dried red chillies
Asafoetida, a pinch
5-6 curry leaves
1 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
4-5 tablespoons of tamarind extract
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
1.5 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
2 green chillies
5-6 curry leaves
3-4 garlic cloves
- For making dry masala for rasam, add black peppercorns, cumin, green chilli, curry leaves and garlic into a blender. Blend all these ingredients without adding water.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cooking pan on medium flame.
- Add in mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Then add dried red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sprinkle salt over it. Cover and cook until tomatoes soften.
- Pour 3 cups of water, turmeric powder and tamarind extract into the pan. Stir well.
- Then add the freshly prepared rasam masala present in the blender. Combine everything together. Cover and allow rasam to boil on low-medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Taste for salt at this point. Add, if necessary to adjust.
- Lastly add chopped coriander and combine.
- Enjoy pepper rasam along with steamed rice or drink it as a soup.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Pepper rasam can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 day.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Did you try this recipe? Let me know how you liked it! 🙂
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤