Channa Masala is a mild-spicy, delicious side dish from the north of India. It’s a crowd favorite and tastes best when eaten along with chapatis/pooris.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 15 min
200gm Canned Chickpea 4 tablespoon Cooking Oil 3 medium sized tomatoes 10 Cashew nuts 1 medium sized Onion 4-5 Cloves 1-2 Bayleaves 1/2 inch Cinnamon 1 teaspoon Jeera seeds 2 Cardomom 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste 1 teaspoon red chilli powder Salt 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder 1 teaspoon coriander powder 1/2 teaspoon garam masala 1/2 cup of water(100 ml) 1 tablespoon salted butter Coriander Leaves
- Roughly chop the onion, make a fine paste in a mixer grinder (Do not add water).
- Soak cashews in water for 15 min.
- Roughly chop tomatoes, make a fine paste of tomatoes and soaked cashews in a mixer grinder(Do not add water).
- On a medium flame, add cooking oil in a saucepan.
- Once the oil becomes hot reduce the flame to low; add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and roast for 30 seconds.
- Add Jeera and fry for 10 sec.
- Add Onion paste and saute till the raw onion smells completely goes (It will take roughly 3min)
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes.
- Add tomato-cashew paste and saute. Close the saucepan lid and cook for 2min.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and cook for a min on low flame. Do not keep flame on high as you may end up overcooking these masala powders.
- Add canned chickpea into the saucepan and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup (100ml) of water.
- Close saucepan lid and cook on low flame for 5-6 min allowing the masala to blend in well with chickpea.
- Remove saucepan lid.
- Add a handful of coriander leaves and salted butter on top.
- Enjoy this delicious channa masala with chapatis/Poori.
- I have used canned chickpea. If you are going to use dry chickpea, soak it overnight in water and salt, drain it and use.
- Instead of grinding onion, you can finely chop it and use it too.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Curry can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 day.