Carrot Halwa or Gajar ka Halwa is an extremely popular Indian dessert pudding, prepared commonly as a celebratory sweet during festivals, weddings, birthdays, etc. It’s a delicious dessert made with carrots, milk, sugar, cardamom, ghee, and dry fruits.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 -3 servings
300g carrot, freshly grated
500ml whole milk
100g granulated sugar
3 tablespoons ghee
2 tablespoons cashews
2 cardamoms, freshly crushed
- Heat ghee in a cooking pot on medium flame. Fry cashews until they turn light brown, remove and set them aside.
- Into the same cooking pot, add the grated carrot and saute for 3-4 minutes until it starts to shrink and becomes soft.
- Then pour whole milk into the pan and cook on low flame while you continuously stir until the grated carrot softens and absorbs milk completely.
- Once the milk is completely absorbed, add 1 tbsp ghee, crushed cardamom, and mix well.
- Add sugar and cook while stirring until sugar fully dissolves.
- Once the halwa reaches the desired consistency, add previously fried cashews, mix gently and turn off.
- Enjoy carrot halwa when it is warm.
- Add sugar as per your taste.
- Grate carrot as thin as possible to for it cook easily.
- Feel free to add other dry fruits, if you like.
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you like it? 🙂
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3