Carrot Halwa or Gajar ka Halwa is a popular Indian sweet that is usually made during festivals, weddings and celebrations. It’s rich, simple, healthy and so delicious that you will not want to stop eating!
So now that we have all got plenty of time to spend with family during the quarantine period, why not make this delicious sweet dish that requires simple ingredients, right? Continue reading if you want to know how to make Carrot Halwa.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
300g freshly grated carrot
300ml whole milk
100g granulated sugar (taste wise)
3 tablespoons ghee
2 tablespoons cashews
2 cardamom pods (freshly crushed)
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan. Fry cashews until light brown and set them aside.
- Add grated carrot into the same pan and fry for 3-4 minutes until carrot shrinks in size and becomes soft.
- Pour whole milk into pan and cook on low flame until carrot softens and absorbs milk completely. Do not forget to stir occasionally.
- Once milk is absorbed completely add 1 tbsp ghee and crushed cardamom. Mix well.
- Then add sugar and cook until sugar fully dissolves while stirring continuously.
- Once the halwa reaches desired consistency, add fried cashews, mix gently and serve as shown.
- You can tweak the amount of each ingredient as per your preference.
- Try to grate carrot as thin as possible; this makes cooking faster.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating 🙂