Vegetable pulao is a spicy, delicious rice dish that contains variety of vegetables and spices. It’s simple, easy-to-make and can be either prepared in pressure cooker or cooked in a pot, which is what I usually do. In this recipe spices, vegetables and soaked rice are first sauteed in oil / ghee and then steamed on low flame until rice is tender.
Continue reading if you want to know how to make this delicious vegetable pulao.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
300g White rice, washed & soaked for 15 minutes
600 ml hot water
4 tablespoons Vegetable oil
2 Bay leaves
3 Green cardamom
1/2 inch cinnamon
1 small onion, thin sliced
2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
5-6 green chillies
3 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
10 mint leaves
100g carrot, thinly sliced
100g beans, cut into size of 1 inch
100g green peas
10 -15 soya chunks, soaked in water for 10 minutes and drained
1 small potato, cut into small cubes
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons ghee
- Heat oil in a cooking pot on medium flame. Fry whole spices – cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and fry till it become translucent. Then simmer and fry ginger garlic paste until raw smell goes away.
- Add in add cut veggies – beans, carrot, potato, green peas and sprinkle some salt over it. Cover and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Meanwhile, grind coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies into a fine paste. Once veggies are cooked pour this paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Then pour hot water and stir to mix everything. Once water starts boiling add soaked rice(after draining water), soya chunks, salt to taste and ghee. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high flame for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally. Once you see that rice is being cooked and water level becoming lower adjust the flame to low, cover and cook(Do not stir in between) until there is no water left and rice is tender. Turn off flame and let pulao rest for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy Pulao with plain yogurt or raita.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Do not forget to taste for salt before step 6.
- You can follow the same procedure until step 5 to prepare this in a pressure cooker. Step 6 would be to cover cooked lid and pressure cook pulao on medium flame until 1 whistle. (Also you can use normal water instead of hot water here)
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating 🙂