Veggie cutlet is a spicy, tangy, delicious evening snack eaten with tomato ketchup or mint chutney as a dip. In India, this simple, easy to make snack is usually had with evening tea. To make cutlets you can use variety of vegetables with potato as the base. Cutlets can either be deep fried, shallow fried or baked to suit one’s taste and diet.
In this recipe, I am using potatoes and frozen green peas as the main veggies along with powdered spices. I prefer to shallow fry these cutlets for it gives the same crispness as the deep fried ones. Continue reading if you want to know how to make this delicious evening snack
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
2 large potatoes
50g frozen green peas
1000ml water, for boiling potatoes and green peas
5 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
3 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
3/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
1/2 teaspoon jeera seeds
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt to taste
3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Peel off potato skin, rinse and cut them into small cubes.
- Pour water into a medium sized saucepan. Boil potato cubes and green peas in water on low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until cooked completely.
- Once cooked, turn off heat, and let it cool.
- Drain out excess water, and mash potato and green peas like shown.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in mashed potato and green peas.
- Add chopped onion, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chaat masala powder, jeera seeds, lemon juice, salt to taste and combine.
- Add rice flour and combine again.
- Apply a small amount of oil onto your palm. Make small rounds from the combined cutlet mixture, flatten using your fingers and place them on a plate.
- Refrigerate these cutlets for 15 minutes.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil on a pan or tawa(Make sure to spread oil across the pan). Carefully place refrigerated cutlets on it and shallow fry them on both sides until they turn golden brown. Add an extra tablespoon or two of oil if you feel the need.
- Once fried, let them settle for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy hot and yummy veggie cutlet with tomato ketchup as shown 🙂
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- You can choose to pressure cook potatoes and green peas instead of boiling them.
- You can use variety of other vegetables along with potato as the base. Cook them and follow same procedure.
- You can use these cutlets as patties for burgers.
- You can cover and store cutlet mixture in refrigerator for 2 days. Shallow fry it when you want to eat.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating 🙂