Veggie cutlet is a simple, savory dish, served as a tea-time snack along with a dip of mint chutney or tomato ketchup. In India, this yummy snack is savored with evening tea.
To make veg cutlets, you would need a variety of vegetables with potato as the base for binding. However, In this recipe, I am using potatoes and frozen green peas as the main veggies along with powdered Indian spices. Cutlets could either be deep-fried, shallow fried or baked to suit one’s taste and diet. I prefer shallow frying these cutlets as it gives the same crispness as deep-frying. Continue reading if you want to know how to make this delicious evening snack
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
For pressure cooking:
2 large potatoes
50g frozen green peas
1000ml water, for boiling potatoes and green peas
1 teaspoon salt
For cutlet mixture:
5 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
3 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
3/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
1/2 teaspoon jeera seeds
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 teaspoon lime juice
Salt to taste
3-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Peel off the potato skin, rinse and cut them into small cubes.
- Into a saucepan/ pressure cooker – Pour water, add and cook the potato cubes and green peas by adding some salt in some water on low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until vegetables are fully cooked.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat, and let it cool.
- Drain out water, and mash the cooked vegetables as shown.
- In to a large mixing bowl, transfer mashed potatoes, green peas, and add chopped onion, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chaat masala powder, jeera seeds, lemon juice, salt to taste and combine.
- Add rice flour and combine the cutlet mixture again.
- Apply a small amount of oil onto your palm. Make small rounds from the cutlet mixture, flatten them using your fingers and place them on a plate.
- Refrigerate these cutlets for 15 minutes.
- Grease 3 tbsp of oil on a pan or Tawa and heat on medium heat. Carefully place the refrigerated cutlets on it, and shallow fry them on both sides until they turn golden brown. Add an extra tablespoon or two of oil if you feel the need.
- Once browned on both sides, remove from the pan and let it rest for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Enjoy hot and yummy veggie cutlet with tomato ketchup as shown.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- You can pressure cook potatoes and green peas instead of boiling them.
- You can use a variety of other mashed vegetables like cauli florets, green beans, carrots along with potato as the base for binding.
- You can use these cutlets as patties for burgers.
- You can cover and store the cutlet mixture in a refrigerator for up to 2 days. Shallow fry it when you want to eat.
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you liked it! 🙂
You can also tag your food recreations of this recipe on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤