Black Chana Chaat
Black chana/ chickpeas chaat is a spicy, tangy, healthy dish made with black chickpeas, onion, tomatoes and flavored with spices. This yummy chaat makes for a great evening snack or it can be eaten as is for lunch as a salad. It’s oil-free, vegan, packed with protein and super super tasty.
There are 2 methods of cooking these chickpeas – boiling method and pressure cooking method. For both, if the chickpeas are soaked for 8-10 hours, it’s easier to cook. If you are using the boiling method, use enough water (3X times the chickpeas) in a saucepan and boil chickpeas on low-medium heat until soft and completely cooked. This will take about 30 minutes.
If you are using the pressure cooking method (faster and simpler), you will need to use 3X times water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. You may have to check if the chickpeas are completely cooked; add more water and pressure for another 2 whistles if needed. You can use either method depending how quick you would want to prepare this chaat. Continue reading if you want to know how to make this yummy black chana chaat.
Prep time: 10 hours
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 10 hours 20 minutes
1 cup black chana/ black chickpeas, soaked overnight & drained
3 cups water
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
3/4 teaspoon coriander powder
3/4 teaspoon chaat masala
lime juice, of 1/2 lime
Salt to taste
- Boil black chickpeas in enough water until softened. If you’re using pressure cooker, cook with 3X water until well cooked and softened. Drain out excess water.
- Into a mixing bowl, transfer the cooked chickpeas.
- Then add chopped onion, tomatoes, green chilli, ginger, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chaat masala (any brand) salt to taste and mix everything well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, drizzle lime juice over and serve as shown.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- To expedite cooking time, soak black chickpeas for 10-15 hours.
- Black chana chaat tastes best if eaten fresh and right away.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3