Ridge gourd is a commonly used vegetable in Indian cuisine. It is rich in dietary fibre and has various health benefits. Ridge gourd curry is a great way to include this vegetable in our diet. The curry simple dish made using ridge gourd, other vegetables and Indian spices. It is usually served for lunch or dinner along with hot rotis, chapatis, or as a side dish along with steamed rice and plain toor dal. Continue reading to know how to make this simple and delicious Ridge gourd curry.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2-3 Servings
2 medium-sized ridge gourd
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon tamarind extract(Optional)
Cilantro, finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Chop ridge gourd into small pieces, rinse them in cold water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot on medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Then add cumin and a handful of curry leaves.
- Sauté chopped onion until translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, sprinkle some salt over them, cover the lid and cook on low-medium heat until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add all the powdered spices on low heat – turmeric, red chili, cumin and coriander. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add cut pieces of ridge gourd into the cooking pot, and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low-medium heat until ridge gourd is soft and completely cooked. (Do not add water, as the water released from ridge gourd itself is sufficient for it to cook.)
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary. Add tamarind extract if you like some tanginess in the curry and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve this healthy and delicious ridge gourd curry with chapatis, rotis, or as a side dish along with steamed rice and dal. Enjoy!
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
- Store ridge gourd curry in refrigerator for up to a day. Reheat before consuming.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3