Mixed Vegetable Pulao is a delicious rice-based Indian dish. It contains a variety of vegetables, whole spices and herbs along with basmati rice which makes this dish so delectable. There are two ways of preparing this: 1) Using a Pressure cooker 2) Using a regular cooking pot. Pressure cooker method is the quickest method of the two. In this recipe I am using a pressure cooker to make vegetable pulao where whole spices, vegetables and rice are first sauteed in oil and then pressure cooked. For those who want to know the second method of preparation, click here.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
200g basmati rice, rinsed
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 whole green cardamom
2 bay leaves
1/2 inch whole cinnamon
2 star anise
1 small onion, sliced
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup carrot, chopped
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 cup butter peas
Salt to taste
10 green chilies
2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons mint leaves, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker on medium flame.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add all the whole spices – green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, star anise, and fry until aromatic.
- Add and saute onion slices until transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry it until the raw smell goes away.
- Blend green chilli, coriander, and mint leaves in a blender. Pour it into the cooker and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the vegetables, white rice, and salt to taste. Fry everything for a minute.
- Pour water and allow it to come to a boil.
- Taste for salt and spice, and adjust if necessary.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and cook pulao on medium heat until one whistle. Turn off and let the cooker depressurize.
- Enjoy delicious vegetable pulao with raita.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Other than the vegetables used in this recipe, you can also use potatoes and soya chunks.
- Vegetable pulao can be stored in refrigerator for a day.
- Before consuming, sprinkle some water on the rice and microwave it.
Did you try this recipe? Let me know how you liked it! 🙂
You can also tag your food recreations of this recipe on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤