A protein-rich, vegan Indian curry made with sprouted black chickpeas, and potatoes, cooked in a freshly made masala paste.
Month: June 2021
Gobi Matar Masala is a delicious curry made with cauliflower and green peas, cooked in an onion-tomato base with ground spices and herbs. It’s a great side dish for wheat rotis/chapatis, naan, and flavored rice such as jeera rice and ghee rice.
This recipe is simple to make and I’d say that this curry is slightly on the drier side, which is perfect for two people. But if you are cooking for a large crowd, making pastes of onion and tomato instead of chopping them up always helps in terms of the quantity and makes the curry consistency thicker.
GOBI MATAR MASALA
- 1 medium cauliflower (florets) rinsed
- 150 g green peas frozen or fresh
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 small tomatoes finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- 150 ml water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi crushed
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat (you can either use coconut oil or vegetable oil of your choice)
- Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle. Then add the slit green chilies and red onion, sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, sauté until the raw smell no more exists.
- Add chopped tomatoes, sprinkle some salt over them, then cover and cook on low heat until tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Regulate the heat to low and add turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Mix well and cook on low heat until the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add green peas and cauliflower florets, stir to mix and pour 150ml of water. Cover, and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat or until cauliflower and green peas are tender.
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary. Add the garam masala and crushed kasuri methi. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot Gobi Matar Masala with rotis or dosa. Enjoy!