Bhindi or Okra dry is a simple yet tasty curry that goes well with rotis and chapati or alongside rice-sambar/dal. It’s an easy recipe that takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Great for lunch boxes or a simple weekday lunch/dinner.
Prepping the okra is slightly time-consuming. So you are running short of time, I suggest you prep it the previous night and store it in the refrigerator to lessen cooking time. Continue reading to know how to make Bhindi dry curry.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
150g okra/bhindi, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 tablespoons of cooking oil
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
8-10 Curry leaves
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
3 tablespoons grated coconut
Salt to taste
- Stir fry okra in a non-stick pan with a tablespoon of oil & a teaspoon of salt until bhindi is almost cooked and browned, and the gel-like substance goes away. Later, transfer bhindi onto a plate.
- Heat oil in the same pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. Once they pop and sizzle, add minced garlic and onion and sauté on medium heat until onion translucent.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and sauté on low heat for 30 seconds.
- Add stir-fried okra into the pan, combine well, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add grated coconut, mix well and sauté for a minute.
- Taste for salt and adjust.
- Serve Bhindi dry with chapati. Enjoy!
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you like it? 🙂
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3