Beetroot palya or beetroot stir fry is a popular dry curry in south India. It’s an easy-to-make dish made using beetroot, onions, coconut, spices, and herbs.
My family is a big beetroot fan, and this recipe(inspired by my mom’s preparation) is one of our favorites side dishes. Perfect for a weekday meal, beetroot stir fry tastes best with soft chapatis or alongside rice-sambar. To read about the benefits of consuming beetroot, click here.
As I mentioned, it’s an easy-to-make side dish. But, meal prepping would help you to speed up the cooking process. So if you are running a tight morning schedule, I suggest you prep beetroots, onions, and green chilies the previous night and store them in separate air-tight boxes in the refrigerator.
As far as the ingredients, they are pretty basic and mostly available in Indian households. Coconut is an optional ingredient. If you prefer beetroot without coconut, skip it.
Continue reading to know how to make beetroot palya/ beetroot stir fry.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 adult servings
2 medium size beetroots, skin-peeled and rinsed
3 tablespoons of cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon chana dal
1/2 teaspoon urad dal
8-10 curry leaves
3-4 green chilies, slit
1 small red onion, chopped
Salt to taste
3-4 tablespoons of grated coconut(optional)
- Cut the beetroots into 1/4-inch cubes and set them aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow them to pop and sizzle. Then add chana dal and urad dal and fry them on low heat until golden brown. Add green chilies, curry leaves, and onions and sauté on low heat until translucent.
- Add the chopped pieces of beetroot, sprinkle salt over it, mix well, cover, and cook until done. At the last, add grated coconut and combine.
- Serve healthy beetroot palya with rotis or alongside rice and sambar. Enjoy!
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
- You could either chop beetroot or grate it if you prefer that way.
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you like it? 🙂
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤