Paneer bhurji or scrambled paneer is a quick and yummy semi-dry side dish made with grated paneer sautéed in oil/ghee with onions, tomatoes, spices, and herbs. You can make this recipe in 15 minutes if you have all the ingredients ready. So, it’s perfect for days when you are running short of time and want to prepare a quick side dish for rotis or chapatis.
Making paneer at home is easy. But, if you don’t want to spend that time on that process, you can buy a good quality paneer at any Indian grocery store, which is what I do. Even in this recipe I have used store-bought paneer. As far as the vegetables, you can add green peas, spinach, etc. if you like, besides the onion and tomatoes.
Check out other paneer recipes here:
Easy Paneer Bhurji | Grated Paneer Stir Fry
- Cooking pan with lid
- 200 gm Paneer grated
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil/ ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 green chilies (or to taste) finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro finely chopped
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, allow them to sizzle.
- Add green chilies and onion, sauté until onion translucent.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle a pinch of salt, cover the lid and cook on low heat until tomatoes mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, sauté for 20 seconds.
- Add the grated paneer, combine well, cover and cook for 2 minutes until paneer soft.
- Taste for salt and adjust.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm with chapatis/rotis. (Drizzle a bit of lime juice if you like)
- Add salt and spices according to you taste and preference.
- You can include vegetables and greens such as green peas, spinach, methi leaves, etc. if you like.