This dish is yet another family favorite! It’s an easy-peasy, healthy one-pot meal essentially made using little millet or Saame (as called in Kannada), fenugreek leaves, green beans, and green peas as the main ingredients. The use of whole spices and methi makes this dish flavorful, and the little millet keeps one fuller for a longer time.
Furthermore, the best part of this recipe(like most of the one-pot meals) is that you can make it in 20 minutes with a pressure cooker if you have all the ingredients ready. You can use a regular cooking pot or instant pot, instead of a pressure cooker.
Besides little millet, you could use others such as Foxtail millet, Kodo millet and Pearl millet. Consider adding some ghee-fried cashews into the pulao once it’s ready – they add on to the taste. If you are following a vegan diet, skip the ghee and use your choice of oil/plant-based ghee to fry cashews or make the dish.
I prefer making this dish on days when I feel lazy to cook. So, I would make this for the day, and we would eat for lunch and dinner, both. I hope you do try this. Enjoy!
Check out other one-pot meal recipes here: ONE-POT MEALS
Little Millet Pulao Recipe | Methi Mattar Millets Pulao
- Pressure cooker
- 4 tbsp coconut shredded
- green chilies to taste
- ½ inch ginger root
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 8-10 leaves of mint
- 4 tbsp cilantro chopped
For pressure cooking
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 2 cloves
- 3 green cardamom
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 black cardamom
- A pinch of mace
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 150 gm green peas frozen or fresh
- 100 gm green beans chopped into 1/2 inch pieces, frozen or fresh
- 1 small potato diced
- 150 gm little millets thoroughly washed
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves(approximately 200gm) washed and chopped
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 350 ml water
- salt to taste
- Blend the below ingredients into a smooth paste by adding water as needed and keep aside until used.4 tbsp coconut, green chilies to taste, ½ inch ginger root, 4-5 cloves of garlic, 8-10 leaves of mint, 4 tbsp cilantro
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat.3 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- Add all the whole spices in, sauté until aromatic.2 cloves, 3 green cardamom, ½ inch cinnamon, 3 bay leaves, 1 black cardamom, A pinch of mace
- Add and sauté until translucent.1 small red onion
- Add the ground coconut paste into the cooker, sauté for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Add and sauté for a minute until you notice oil separating from the masala.2 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder
- Transfer these into the cooker, and sauté on high heat for 2 minutes.150 gm green peas, 100 gm green beans, 1 small potato, 1 cup fenugreek leaves(approximately 200gm), salt to taste
- Add and combine.1 small tomato, 150 gm little millets, 350 ml water
- Add and allow this mixture to come to a boil on low-medium heat.2 tbsp lime juice
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Close the cooker lid, and cook until 1 whistle on low-medium heat. Turn off and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Gently mix and serve warm methi mattar millet pulao with cucumbers on the side or raita. Enjoy!
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
- Besides the vegetables used, you could include potatoes and soya chunks if you like.