Methi-Peas Pulao or Methi Matar Pulao is a delicious rice-based dish, containing fenugreek leaves and green peas as the main vegetables cooked along with minimum whole spices and herbs. This dish makes a great one-pot meal that could be done in under 25 minutes in a pressure cooker. If using a regular pot, follow the same recipe. However, in the end, instead of pressure cooking, the rice has to be cooked carefully in low heat until fully done. Continue reading if you want to know how to make this delicious and quick methi peas pulao.
2 cups of basmati rice (400g approx)
4 cups of water
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1/2 inch cinnamon
4 green cardamom
1 star anise
2 bay leaves
1 small onion, sliced
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
5-6 green chillies(as per your taste)
1/2 tomato, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
200g green peas (frozen or fresh)
1 bunch of methi/fenugreek leaves
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker on medium flame.
- Once oil is hot enough, add all the whole spices – green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, star anise, mace, and fry until aromatic.
- Add and saute onion slices until transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry it until the raw smell goes away.
- Add green chillies, fry for 20 seconds and then saute chopped tomatoes until soft and mushy.
- Add salt to taste, turmeric powder, garam masala and green peas. Combine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped methi leaves, fry for a minute, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rinsed basmati rice and pour 2X water. Combine and allow the mixture to combine to a boil.
- Taste for salt and spice, and adjust if necessary.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on medium heat until two whistles. Turn off and let the cooker depressurize.
- Enjoy delicious methi peas pulao with raita.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Methi peas pulao could be stored in refrigerator for a day.
- Before consuming, sprinkle some water on the pulao and warm it.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤