Easy Lemon Poha (Avalakki Recipe)
Lemon Poha or Avalakki is a popular Indian breakfast made with soaked and drained flattened rice, lemon, turmeric powder, spices, and herbs. It is a quick and yummy breakfast/brunch to make on those busy mornings. And the best part about this recipe is that the flattened rice needs very little to no cooking. So you can imagine how easy this recipe actually is. Definitely try it to know it!
Check out other Indian breakfast recipes here
Lemon Poha Recipe (Avalakki)
- Cooking pan with lid
- Medium sized bowl
- 150 g flattened rice rinsed and soaked for 3-4 minutes and drained
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2-3 green chilies slit into halves
- 1 small red onion chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ small lemon
- 2-3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pan on low-medium heat. Add peanuts, fry until light brown. Then add urad dal and fry until golden brown.
- Add mustard seeds, once they pop add curry leaves and slit green chilies.
- Add chopped onion and saute until translucent. Add turmeric powder, and salt, and stir to mix well. Add drained flattened rice and combine well. Turn off the heat and drizzle juice of half lemon over it and gently mix to combine.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm poha. Enjoy!