Poha or Avalakki chitranna is a popular Indian breakfast/snack made with flattened rice, lime, turmeric powder, spices, and herbs. It is one of the quickest meals you could make for breakfast. So when you are running late yet need to make a quick meal for yourself and your family, this recipe is perfect! And the best part about flattened rice is that it needs very little to no cooking.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 adult servings
1 cup flattened rice/ Avalakki (150 grams)
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 tablespoons of peanuts
1 teaspoon chana dal / split chickpeas
A handful of curry leaves
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
4 green chilies(or to taste), slit
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
Cilantro, finely chopped
3 tablespoons lime juice
Salt to taste
- Rinse flattened rice and soak it in water for 5 minutes until it becomes soft. Then drain and keep flattened rice aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pan on medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add peanuts and fry them until light brown.
- Add chana dal and sauté them for 20 seconds.
- Add onion, green chili, and curry leaves, and sauté until onion translucent. Then add turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Transfer flattened rice into the pan, combine well and turn the heat off.
- Drizzle lime juice and give poha a good mix.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm.
- Enjoy poha as a tea-time snack or eat it for breakfast with plain curd/ pickles.
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
- Do not over soak flattened rice, it will become mushy.
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you like it? 🙂
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤