Green masala chicken pulao is a delicious one-pot rice meal made with freshly ground green masala consisting of green chilies, coriander leaves, and mint leaves, onion, tomato, basmati rice, spices and herbs. Addition of basmati rice, fresh masala plus a variety of whole spices used in this recipe adds immense flavor to the pulao, making it delectable.
Chicken pulao can be a great weekend meal to prepare and serve yourself and your family, either with plain yogurt on the side, or raita or shorba/sherva. Continue reading to know how to make delicious green masala chicken pulao.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3-4 adult servings
2.5 cups of basmati rice
5 cups of hot water
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of ghee
1 small red onion, roughly chopped
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1/4 inch cinnamon
4 green cardamom pods
2 bay leaves
1-2 star anise
2 tablespoons of ginger garlic paste
Salt to taste
400g of chicken
200g of yogurt or curd
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chicken biryani powder(Any brand or homemade)
2 tablespoons of lime juice
10 green chilies
4 tablespoons of cilantro, finely chopped
12-15 mint leaves
Chicken Marination: Rinse chicken pieces thoroughly under cold water. Add into a bowl: chicken, yogurt, turmeric powder, salt, chicken biryani masala powder and lime juice, and mix well. Cover the bowl and let marinade sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Soaking Rice: While the chicken marinates, rinse basmati rice and soak it for 30 minutes. Drain out the water after and set rice aside.
Blending Green masala: While the chicken marinates and rice soaks, you can prepare the green masala. Add green chilies, coriander leaves, mint leaves along with 2 tbsp. water in to a mixer and blend the ingredients into a smooth paste.
Making Chicken Pulao:
- Heat vegetable oil in a cooking pot.
- Add and sauté on low-medium heat: cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, star anise for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Then add onion and sauté until translucent. Add and sauté, ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes away.
- Transfer the freshly ground green masala into the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken marinade into the pot along with chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well and cook on high flame for 10 – 15 minutes. (Until the water released from the chicken evaporates and a thick gravy forms. By now the chicken would have partially cooked too.)
- Pour 5 cups of hot water into the pot, add basmati rice into it and give it a good stir.
- Allow the contents to come to a boil. Taste for salt at this point, and adjust.
- Close the lid and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes, occasionally stirring, on medium flame until rice is cooked. Turn the heat off and allow Pulao to rest for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy delicious chicken Pulao with plain yogurt/ raita/Shorba.
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you like it? 🙂
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3