Chicken Pulao or the green masala chicken pulao is a popular dish from south India. The best and unique thing about this pulao is the green masala consisting of green chillies, coriander leaves and mint leaves. It gives a lovely flavor to the chicken and rice as a whole. You can prepare this pulao for either lunch or dinner along with Raita and Shorba. If you want to know how to make delicious chicken pulao, then continue reading.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 60 minutes Serves: 3
2.5 cups Basmati rice
1 small onion -chopped
1 small tomato – chopped
1/4 inch cinnamon
4 green cardamom pods
2 bay leaves
1 star anise
2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon chicken biryani powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 lemon juice
10 green chillies
4 tablespoons coriander leaves – chopped
12-15 mint leaves
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons ghee
5 cups hot water
Salt to taste
- Clean chicken thoroughly with cold water and some turmeric powder.
- Add washed chicken, yogurt, turmeric powder, salt, chicken biryani masala powder, lemon juice into a bowl and mix all ingredients well.
- Marinade in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Clean and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Drain water after and set rice aside.
Blending Green masala:
- While the chicken marinates and rice soaks, you can prepare the green masala.
- Add green chillies, coriander leaves, mint leaves along with 2 tbsp water in a blender and blend the mixture to a smooth paste.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cooking pot on medium flame.
- Fry all the dry masala ingredients – cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, star anise for 30 seconds. Add chopped onion and fry until it turns translucent. Then fry ginger garlic paste until raw smells goes away.
- Simmer and pour the blended green masala. Fry it a 2-3 minutes.
- Add marinaded chicken, along with chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well and cook chicken on high flame for 10 – 15 minutes. (Until the water released from chicken evaporates and a thick gravy is formed)
- Pour 5 cups of hot water into the pot. Then add soaked rice and mix everything well. (Hot water helps cook pulao sooner)
- Ensure that salt is right and bring the contents to boil.
- Close the pot lid and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes on medium flame until rice is fully done, while stirring occasionally. Turn off flame and let Pulao rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve as shown and enjoy this delicious chicken Pulao with Raita and Shorba.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your preparation on my IG @swaadista and using #swaadistarecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating 🙂