Are you looking to prepare an easy one-pot rice meal loaded with vegetables? Then you are reading the right blog post! 🙂 Vegetable Pulao is a mildly spicy and delicious rice meal containing a mixture of vegetables, whole spices, herbs, and freshly prepared pulao masala that makes this dish so delectable.
Generally, to prepare pulao, regular Sona masuri rice is used. But you could use basmati rice instead of it if you prefer(I prefer basmati rice for pulao because it enhances the taste). And to speed up the process of making pulao, a pressure cooker is used. However, if you wish to use a regular pot, follow the same recipe, but in the end, make sure to cook pulao(lid on) on low heat until done. Continue reading to know how to make this delicious vegetable pulao.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3-4 servings
250g white rice or basmati rice, rinsed
500 ml water
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Bay leaves
4-5 Green cardamom
1 black cardamom
1 pinch of mace
2 Star anise
1/2 inch cinnamon
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 small onion, sliced
2 green chilies, split into halves
1/2 cup chopped green beans, 1-inch sized pieces
1/2 cup green peas
2 small potatoes, diced
1/2 cup carrot, diced
Salt to taste
For Pulao masala:
1 small onion, diced
5-6 green chilies, or as per taste
1/2 cup of mint leaves
1/2 cup of chopped coriander leaves
5-6 garlic cloves
3/4 inch ginger
3 tablespoons of coconut, grated
50 ml of water
- Pulao masala: Into a blender, add diced onion, green chilies, coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger, garlic, grated coconut, and water, and blend into a thick yet fine paste. Keep this pulao aside until used.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pressure cooker on low-medium heat.
- Add all the whole spices – Bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, star anise, mace, fennel seeds, and saute until aromatic. (Approx 30 seconds)
- Add split green chilies and sliced onions and saute until onion becomes translucent.
- Pour the freshly prepared pulao masala into the pressure cooker and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in all the veggies – green beans, carrot, potato, green peas, sprinkle some salt over them, and cook for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the rinsed rice and pour water. Stir well and allow the mixture to start boiling.
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook pulao until 1 – 2 whistles on medium heat.
- Once the pressure releases, open the lid and gently mix pulao.
- Serve it warm as is or with raita.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Vegetable pulao stays for up to a day in the refrigerator.
- Before consuming, sprinkle some water over pulao and microwave it.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤