Shrimp Curry is one of the simplest and tastiest Indian curries. It requires no marination and is essentially fresh shrimp cooked in an onion-tomato-coconut based gravy along with powdered spices. Perfect for lunch and dinner, this flavorful shrimp curry is easy to prepare and tastes absolutely divine when eaten with steamed rice or rotis. Continue reading if you want to know step by step procedure to make this shrimp curry.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 green chillies, split into half
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala(Optional)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
Salt to taste
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium tomato, chopped
5 dried kashmiri red chillies
6 garlic cloves
1/2 inch ginger
3 tablespoons grated coconut
- Clean and devein shrimp as usual.
- Into a blender, add chopped tomatoes, grated coconut, dried kashmiri red chilli, garlic and ginger. Blend all ingredients into a fine paste by adding water if necessary. Keep aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cooking pan on medium flame.
- Once hot, fry green chillies for a minute and saute chopped onion until light brown.
- Then add turmeric, red chilli, coriander, cumin powder, garam masala and salt. Fry these powdered masala on low heat for 30 seconds.
- Pour the ground tomato-coconut paste in and stir everything together. Cover and cook on low heat until oil releases from the masala (It is an indicator that the masala is cooked). This might take upto 5-6 minutes.
- Add cleaned shrimp, mix well, cover again and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve as shown with rotis or steamed rice.
- Tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Do not overcook shrimp, it will become rubbery.
- Curry can be stored in refrigerator for a day.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Did you try this recipe? Let me know how you liked it! 🙂
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤