Green gram usli or hesaru kaalu usli is a healthy side dish that is commonly prepared during festivals in south india. Mung beans are one of the most nutritious legumes. Mung/ Green gram is protein & fiber rich and usli is one great way of consuming it. It’s tasty, filling and easy-to-make so it can definitely be included in our regular diet. You can choose to eat this for breakfast, or as a side dish alongside rice & sambar or as a snack too.
Preparing the green gram usli is quite simple and one can get it right every time. So, continue reading the step by step procedure if you want to try this recipe at home.
Prep time: 4 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 4 hours 30 minutes
150g/ 1 cup green gram – Soaked for 4 hours
2.5 cups water
salt to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 dried red chilli
Asafoetida – a pinch
3 tablespoons grated coconut
- Drain water and add soaked green gram into pressure cooker.
- Then pour 2.5 cups of water and add a pinch of salt.
- Pressure cook on medium flame until 3 whistles or until green gram is fully cooked.
- Drain remaining water and set cooked green gram aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add dried chilli, curry leaves and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida and cooked green gram. Mix well.
- Sprinkle salt as per your taste. Then add grated coconut and stir fry for a minute.
- Enjoy green gram usli alongside rice & sambar or as a salad.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating 🙂