Shrimp dum biryani is a delicious, aromatic dish made by cooking basmati rice with shrimp/prawn marinated in yogurt, spices, and herbs. Unlike the other dum biryanis, the shrimp dum biryani takes lesser preparation and cooking time. It’s because shrimps/prawns marinate and cook faster.
Generally, mutton dum biryani and chicken dum biryani are most popular among biryani lovers. However, shrimp biryani has its fan following too. This dish is ideal to be prepared on the weekends, for family and served with either salan or raita.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
250g white shrimps (or any other)
4-5 tablespoons of deep-fried onions, store-bought(or homemade)
2 tablespoons ghee
4 tablespoons saffron milk
10 -15 cashews
100 ml of vegetable oil
For boiling rice:
2 cups of basmati rice(500g approx)
Water, enough for boiling rice
2 Bay leaves
5 green cardamom
1 black cardamom
2 green chilies
10-12 mint leaves
A handful of coriander leaves
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 lime juice
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
4-5 tablespoons yogurt/curd
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 tablespoons of chicken biryani masala (any brand)
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 lime juice
- Devein and clean shrimps as usual.
- Transfer cleaned shrimps into a large mixing bowl and add yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, biryani masala, fennel seeds, salt, and juice of half a lime into the bowl. Combine all the ingredients, ensuring that the shrimps coat thoroughly.
- Wrap or cover the bowl airtight using a clingy wrap or a plate and refrigerate the marinade for 30 minutes.
- Rinse basmati rice in cold running water and soak that in a bowl for 30 minutes.
- While the shrimps marinate and rice soaks, you can prep for boiling the basmati rice.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add all the whole spices – cloves, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaves, green and black cardamom, mace, and fry them until aromatic.
- Then add green chilli, coriander leaves, mint leaves and saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour enough water for boiling rice and add some salt into it and allow the water to come to a boil.
- Then drain out the water from the soaked rice and add the rice into the boiling water along with the juice of half a lime.
- Allow rice to cook up to 70 % while you continuously stir. Once you notice that the rice is cooked up to the desired level, turn off the heat and drain out the excess water using a strainer. Then set the rice aside.
Cooking biryani on dum:
- In a biryani cooking pot, add enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom surface well.
- Transfer the marinated shrimp into the pot and sprinkle some fired onions over it.
- Then add half of the partially cooked basmati rice on top of it.
- Then sprinkle some fried onions on top of rice and layer the remaining basmati rice on it.
- Add some more fried onions on the top, pour the saffron milk all over the rice and add some ghee.
- Finally sprinkle a little salt and 1/4 tsp of biryani masala over and close the lid of the pot tight.
- Since we are to cook this biryani on dum/steam, ensure that there are no openings in the cooking pot. If there are any, close them with a wheat dough.
- Turn on the heat and cook biryani for 10 minutes on high flame and 10-15 minutes on lowest flame.
- Turn off heat and allow the biryani to settle for another 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and mix biryani well and enjoy delicious shrimp dum biryani with raita or salan.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- I have used white shrimps. You could use either shrimps or prawns.
- I like using the chicken biryani masala in this recipe. If you prefer any other biryani masala, you could use that.
- Generally, shrimps take about 10 minutes to cook to perfection. Overcooking makes them rubbery.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤