Masala Akki Rotti
Masala Akki Rotti or Akki Rotti (Akki meaning rice in kannada and rotti meaning flatbread) is a unique and popular breakfast from the state of Karnataka. Being born and brought up in karnataka I was used to eating several kinds of rotti – akki rotti, ragi rotti, jolada rotti, rave rotti, however, akki rotti was and is my most favorite. Even now, it’s that ‘one‘ breakfast that I love to cook and eat every weekend without fail.
Traditional Akki Rotti is a rice-based, medium spicy dish that is made from just from rice flour, salt, and water. Whereas masala akki rotti has vegetables like onion, carrot, herbs and spices in addition making it all the most delectable. The process of making akki rotti is slightly tedious if you are making for a large number of people, but the taste and satisfaction this delicious south Indian dish provides is worth the effort. Here’s the recipe for it..
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of rottis: 5
1.5 cups rice flour (250g)
2 tablespoons semolina (Sooji rava)
1 tablespoon fried channa dal
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
2 green chillies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 tablespoons dill leaves, finely chopped
Salt as needed
Water as needed
Vegetable oil/ Ghee
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients – rice flour, semolina, finely chopped onion, carrot, green chillies, cumin, dill leaves, fried chana dal, salt and combine well.
- Further, add water in small amounts stage by stage and knead well until a soft dough is formed.
- Then add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and coat the dough uniformly.
- Cover and let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut a parchment paper of 20cm*20cm size. (Even better if you can cut it into a round shape considering the tawa size and the size of rotti you are going to make.)
- Add 1/4 teaspoon oil on it and coat the parchment paper well.
- Take a small round of the dough, flatten it and spread it lightly with your fingers to make a round shaped rotti of your preferred thickness. (To spread dough easily, oil your fingers slightly)
- Heat a tawa on medium flame and grease it with oil/ghee.
- Lift the parchment paper and reverse it on hot tawa. Gently peel off the paper without disturbing rotti.
- Toast rotti until it cooks well and starts to brown( Usually 2 minutes on medium flame is sufficient). Apply oil/ghee on the top side and Flip it. Toast the other side too until cooked.
- Enjoy hot masala akki rotti with peanut chutney or coconut chutney.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Overcooking the rotti makes it hard to eat. So make sure to toast both the sides only until light brown spots start appearing.
- Akki Rotti tastes best if eaten right after it is made. One of the tricks to keep this rotti soft is to sprinkle some water on a tissue and cover the rotti with this tissue as soon as it is made OR store it in a hot case.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3
1 thought on “Masala Akki Rotti”