Heerekayi bajji/ Ridge Gourd Fritters is essentially ridge gourd dipped in a spicy gram flour batter and deep fried in oil. It’s a famous and common evening snack in South India, especially in Karnataka. The best thing about this tasty snack is that it can be prepared in less than 20 minutes.
This Bajji is also one of my favourite childhood snacks, especially to eat on rainy days along with some hot piping masala tea. If you like, you can replace ridge gourd with sliced of onion, capsicum, potato or raw banana(Plantain). All of these taste as good as the heerekayi bajji! Continue reading if you want to know how to make this simple and tasty evening snack.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
1 medium ridge gourd, thinly sliced
1 cup gram flour(besan)
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Rinse and slice ridge gourd into thin roundels. Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add gram flour, red chilli powder, salt, and water. Combine well to make a smooth, thick batter. Make sure that there are no lumps in the batter.
- Heat vegetable oil (enough to deep fry battered ridge gourd) in a frying pan on medium heat.
- To check if oil is hot enough for deep frying, drop a small droplet of batter into the oil. Ideally as soon it is dropped, the droplet should come to the surface. This is the ideal temperature to deep fry.
- Dip sliced ridge gourd in the batter one after the other and deep fry until they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Serve right away with tomato ketchup or your favourite dip.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- You can add 1/2 tsp of garam masala to the batter if you like.
- These bajjis/ fritters taste best right after deep frying.
- You can use sliced onions, Raw banana(Plantain), potato and capsicum instead of ridge gourd.
- You can cover and store the batter in refrigerator for 2 days. Add small quantity of water and mix well before using the next time.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Did you try this recipe? Let me know how you liked it! 🙂
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤