Squid/ Calamari pepper fry is a simple yet delicious appetizer that can be prepared in just about 30 minutes. Squid, freshly ground spices and ghee come together to make this dish lip smacking and spicy. However, if you cannot freshly grind spices, you can always use the already powdered ones which gives almost the same taste.
If you are a seafood lover, then you must definitely try this recipe. Continue reading if you want to know how to make this simple yet delicious squid pepper fry.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
250g squid tubes (without tentacles)
3 tbsp ghee
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
Curry leaves, handful
2 dried red chillies, split into halves
2 tsp lime juice(Optional)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp Jeera seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
5-6 curry leaves
- Rinse the squid under running water and drain. Slice the squid tubes into 1 cm rings.
- Then transfer everything into a big bowl. Add turmeric powder and some salt, Mix thoroughly and let the squid marinate for 10 – 15 minutes in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, dry roast black peppercorns, coriander seeds, jeera seeds and 5-6 dry curry leaves in a pan on low flame until the spices turns aromatic(Make sure you do not burn them). Cool it for 5min and then coarsely blend everything in mixer.
- Heat ghee in a medium cooking pan. Fry a handful of curry leaves, dried chilli, chopped ginger, minced garlic, and a handful of cashews on low heat.
- Sauté 1 small finely chopped onion until transparent and soft.
- Stir in the marinated calamari and sprinkle some salt over it. Cover and cook until all the water content is evaporated and calamari is almost done.
- Transfer the freshly powdered dry masala mixture into the cooking pan. Combine to coat squid with all the masala and stir fry on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Drizzle some lime juice over and serve right after as shown.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Do not overcook squid, they tend to become hard and rubbery.
- Tastes best when cooked fresh and eaten.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Did you try this recipe? Let me know how you liked it! 🙂
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤