Vermicelli upma or Semiya Upma is a healthy, tasty, easy-to-prepare dish. It’s a popular South Indian breakfast made with vermicelli, lots of veggies, herbs and spices. Along with these ingredients I personally love a drizzle of lime on top of Upma for that citrusy taste. Continue reading if you want to know step by step procedure to make this delicious dish.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
200g Vermicelli, dry fried for 3-4 minutes
1 litre water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon jeera seeds
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 teaspoon channa dal
4 green chillies, split into halves
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small tomato, finely chopped
100g frozen peas
100g carrot, grated
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Boil 1 litre of water in a saucepan on medium flame. Add dry fried vermicelli and boil until vermicelli is soft. Drain out excess water and keep vermicelli aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a different pan on medium flame. Crackle mustard seeds, and fry jeera seeds for 10 seconds. Fry urad dal and channa dal until light brown on low flame. Then fry split green chillies for 20 seconds. Saute sliced onion until transparent and then saute chopped tomatoes until soft mushy.
- Stir in frozen peas and grated carrot. Cover and cook them for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt over. Add garam masala and fry for 20 seconds.
- Then add vermicelli, combine and cook everything for 2 minutes. Then add finely chopped coriander leaves, mix and turn off heat.
- Drizzle half lime juice, give it a good mix and serve as shown.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Fry vermicelli only until light brown, Do not over fry.
- Other vegetables like beans, capsicum, etc. can also be added along with green peas and carrot.
- Vermicelli upma tastes best if eaten right after cooking.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging pictures of your recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Did you try this recipe? Let me know how you liked it! 🙂
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤