Jeera Aloo is a popular Indian vegetarian side dish usually served with rotis, chapatis, phulkas, paratha, poori, and even with steamed white rice – dal combo. The main vegetable of this dish is potato, which is boiled and later seasoned with whole spices such as cumin seeds, powdered spices, and curry leaves to enhance the flavor. It’s a simple everyday recipe that requires simple ingredients.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
2 medium sized potatoes
Water, for boiling potatoes
1 teaspoon jeera seeds
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
3/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
2 tablespoons ghee
Coriander leaves, finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- Peel off the potato skin, rinse and cut them into small cubes.
- Transfer these cubes into a saucepan. Pour enough water for boiling, along with 1/4 tsp salt. Cook potatoes on a medium flame until they are well cooked.
- Drain out the excess water and set cooked potatoes aside.
- In a separate pan, dry roast cumin seeds and coriander seeds on low heat for 2 minutes. Allow them to cool.
- Then transfer to a mixer jar and blend into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in the same frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add and fry whole cumin, finely chopped green chili for 20 seconds on low heat.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, and salt to taste. Roast the powdered spices for 10 seconds on low heat.
- Add boiled potato cubes into the pan and gently mix.
- Add the freshly ground masala powder in and combine well.
- Cover the lid and cook Jeera aloo for 2-3 minutes and turn off.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and enjoy yummy jeera aloo.
- Tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Do not overcook potatoes.
- If you fall short of the freshly ground masala powder while cooking, you can use the ready cumin powder and coriander powder.
- Drizzle half a lime on top of Jeera aloo if you like some tanginess.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3