Ridge gourd is a commonly used vegetable in Indian cuisine. It is rich in dietary fibre and has various health benefits. Ridge gourd curry is a simple dish that is prepared using ridge gourd as the main vegetable along with other vegetables and Indian spices. It is usually served for lunch or dinner along with hot rotis, chapatis, or as a side dish along with steamed rice and plain toor dal. Continue reading if you want to know how to make this simple and delicious curry.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
2 medium-sized ridge gourd
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon powdered turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon tamarind extract(Optional)
Coriander leaves, finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Chop ridge gourd into small pieces, rinse them in cold water and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cooking pot on medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Then add cumin and a handful of curry leaves.
- Saute chopped onion until they turn translucent.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, sprinkle some salt over it, cover the lid and cook on low-medium heat until soft and mushy.
- Add all the powdered spices – turmeric, red chili, cumin and coriander. Fry these for 30 seconds.
- Add cut pieces of ridge gourd into the cooking pot, and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low-medium heat until until ridge gourd is soft and completely cooked. Do not add water, as the water released from ridge gourd itself is sufficient to cook.
- Adjust salt if necessary at this point. Add tamarind extract if you like some tanginess in the curry and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve this healthy and delicious ridge gourd curry with chapatis, rotis, or as a side dish along with steamed rice and dal.
- Tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- This curry can be stored in refrigerator for a day and reheated before use.
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you liked it! 🙂
You can also tag your food recreations of this recipe on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤