Easy Potato Masala for Dosa and Poori
Being born and brought up in Bengaluru, and having eaten masala dosa(masale dose) my whole life, it’s almost impossible for me to imagine dosa without this potato masala. A regular in our household, this is a semi-dry potato side dish made with boiled potatoes, onion, ginger, green chilies, mustard seeds, and herbs. It’s a perfect and yummy side dish for dosa and poori, along with coconut chutney.
Over the last couple of years, I have tried cooking this in two-three ways (mostly depending on how much time I had to prepare) and this recipe is by far the most loved by us. It’s simple to make (takes about 20 minutes) and tastes so yummy with dosa and poori. Simply boil cubed potatoes, drain water, gently mash potatoes and keep them aside. Make a tempering of mustard seeds, ginger, Hing, sliced onion, chana dal, urad dal, and curry leaves. Add the mashed potato into the tempering, stir to combine, and finish by adding chopped cilantro.
The detailed recipe is below. I hope you try it!
Potato Masala for Dosa and Poori
- 2 medium russet potatoes washed, skin-peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Water to boil potatoes
- 3 tbsp cold-pressed peanut oil or any cooking oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp ginger minced
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Green chilies to taste Slit
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- handful of chopped cilantro finely chopped
- Boil cubed potatoes in a saucepan with enough water and half a teaspoon of salt until potatoes are soft.Drain the water, mash boiled potatoes gently, and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pan on medium heat. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop. Then add chana dal and urad dal, and fry them until golden brown. Add minced ginger, curry leaves, and green chilies. Sauté for a few seconds, then add sliced onions and sauté until they are translucent.
- Transfer boiled potato cubes into pan, add salt and turmeric powder. Stir to mix and cook for a minute or two on low heat. Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Finish off by adding chopped cilantro and serve it warm with dosa or poori. Enjoy!
Let me know if you tried this recipe by tagging a picture of your preparation on my Instagram @swaadista and using #swaadistarecipes.
Happy cooking, happy eating!
2 thoughts on “Easy Potato Masala for Dosa and Poori”
This recipe is a classic and delicious potato masala. The spices give it a delicious and hearty flavor. I love how easy it is to make and the healthy ingredients in it.