Next time you crave eggs, try this spicy and tangy Indian egg masala with rotis or chapatis – You are going to love it for sure!
Egg Masala is an extremely simple and easy curry made with hard-boiled eggs cooked in an onion-tomato-spices base. It’s so easy that one could effortlessly make it in under 25 minutes. You could either use pre-boiled eggs, and directly start with making the masala or, you could do both parallelly. This way, the masala will be ready by the time the eggs boil. All you have to do then is de-shell them, cut them and add them into the masala.
Although egg Masala tastes best with rotis/chapatis, it tastes equally good with plain steamed rice. (For that, you can make the consistency slightly thin/runny.). Continue reading to know how to make some yummy egg Masala.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 – 3 servings
5 Eggs, boiled, de-shelled and cut vertically into two halves
3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
2-3 Green chilies, slit
1 medium onion, finely chopped
5-6 curry leaves
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
2 tomatoes(tangy ones)
3-4 dried red chilies, soaked in water for 15 minutes, and drained
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
Cilantro, finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Blend tomatoes with dried red chilies into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add green chilies, curry leaves, onion, and sauté on medium heat until onion light browned.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomato plus dried red chilies paste into the paste, sprinkle a pinch of salt, mix well and cook on medium heat until you see oil separating on the sides.
- Add all spices – red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add water and adjust the consistency of the masala.
- Cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes until you see oil separating on the sides. Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Add the eggs at this point, gently mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve yummy egg Masala with rotis or chapatis. Enjoy!
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
- Tomatoes add tangy flavor to the curry. However, if you like a more tangy curry, drizzle juice of half a lime just before you serve.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3