Bottle Gourd Curry is a simple, quick, easy-to-cook, tasty Indian style curry that can be eaten with chapatis(whole wheat flatbreads) or Rotis.
1 medium-sized bottle gourd
100g green peas
4 tablespoon Cooking Oil
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 tablespoon Chana dal/ Split Bengal gram
1/2 tablespoon Urad dal/ Split black gram
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 dried red chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1 small cup grated coconut
- In a pan add cooking oil and set it on medium heat.
- Once the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds and let it sputter.
- Add Chana dal/ Split Bengal gram and fry until they become golden brown.
- Add Urad dal/ Split black gram and fry until they become golden brown.
- Break the red chilies into small pieces, add them and roast for 20 sec until they change color.
- Add a handful of curry leaves and let them sputter.
- Add chopped bottle gourd.
- Add washed green peas.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Add half a cup of water.
- Close the pan lid and let it cook for 10-15min on low flame (until veggies change color and become soft)
- Check if the veggies are cooked. (Bottle gourd should have turned translucent)
- Now cook (without lid) until all the water evaporates.
- Add one cup of grated coconut. Mix well.
- Garnish the curry with some chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy the curry with hot chapatis/Rotis/Tortilla.
- You can tweak the quantity of each ingredient as per your taste and preference.
- Curry can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 day.