How would you like potatoes cooked in a flavorful and luscious spinach curry?
Sounds yummy right?
Aloo palak is a delicious vegetarian curry made using potatoes, freshly blend spinach, spice powders, and yogurt. This curry eaten with rotis or chapatis makes a great weekday lunch or dinner, as it is quick and filling.
The recipe for Aloo Palak is simple and achievable in 30 minutes. Continue reading to know how to make Aloo Palak.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
2 medium potatoes, skin-peeled and diced
1 bunch of spinach, rinsed
3 tablespoons of cooking oil
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small red onion, finely chopped
Green chilies to taste, finely chopped
1 ½ tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste(store-bought or freshly made)
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
¾ teaspoon cumin powder
2 tablespoons of yogurt/ curd
¼ teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste
- Blanch spinach for 2 minutes, drain and transfer immediately into a bowl containing ice-cold water.
- After 2 minutes, transfer blanched spinach into a mixer jar, blend into a smooth paste and keep it aside until required.
- Heat cooking oil in a cooking pot on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add chopped green chilies, red onion, and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, and sauté until the raw smell no more exists.
- Add salt to taste, turmeric powder, and cumin powder. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the diced potatoes into the pot and sauté them for 2 minutes.
- Add just enough water for the potatoes to cook well, then cover and cook them until almost done, stirring occasionally.
- Once the potatoes are browned and soft, transfer the spinach paste into the cooking pot and mix well. Then cook it for about 2 minutes on low heat.
- Taste for salt and other spices and adjust if necessary.
- Add yogurt and mix well to incorporate it into the curry.
- Add the garam masala powder after 2 minutes, mix and cook the curry for another minute, then turn off the heat.
- Serve delicious aloo palak with rotis, chapatis. Enjoy!
- Add salt and all the other spices according to your taste and preference.
- If you are following a vegan diet, you could make use of vegan yogurt or skip it.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤