Gobi Matar Masala is a delicious Indian curry made with cauliflower and frozen/fresh green peas, cooked in an onion-tomato base with ground spices and herbs. It’s a popular side dish for rotis, chapatis, naan, and jeera rice. The recipe for Gobi Matar is simple, using some of the fundamental ingredients of Indian cooking. This dish is my family’s favorite, so I cook it regularly for lunch and usually pair it up with chapatis. Continue reading to know how to make Gobi Matar masala or cauliflower-peas curry.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
1 medium cauliflower florets, rinsed
150g green peas, fresh or frozen
3 tablespoons of cooking oil
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 green chilies, split into halves
1 tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste
2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ tablespoon Kashmiri red chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ tablespoon coriander powder
150ml of water
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon Kasuri methi, crushed
Salt to taste
Cilantro, for garnish
- Heat cooking oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, and allow them to sizzle.
- Add green chilies, red onion, sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, sauté until the raw smell no more exists.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some salt over them. Cover and cook on low heat until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Mix them well and cook on low heat until the oil separates from the gravy.
- Then add green peas, cauliflower florets, and pour approximately 150ml of water. Gently stir, cover, and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat or until the cauliflower and peas are well-cooked.
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Lastly, add garam masala plus crushed Kasuri methi, mix well and cook for a minute.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot Gobi Matar Masala with rotis or chapatis. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤