Methi Mattar Pulao using Little Millet
This one-pot meal is yet another family favorite! It’s an easy-peasy, healthy meal essentially made using little millet or Saame (as called in Kannada), fenugreek leaves, green beans, and green peas as the main ingredients. The use of whole spices and fresh Methi leaves make this dish flavorful.
The best part of this meal is that you can prepare it in 20 minutes if you have prepped the ingredients, and little millet or, in general, millets keep one fuller for a longer time. So whenever I cook this, I would do this for the day – meaning this would be our lunch plus dinner.
Besides little millet, you could use Foxtail millet, Kodo millet, and Pearl millet. I hope you try this recipe. Enjoy!
Little Millet Pulao Recipe | Methi Mattar Millets Pulao
- Pressure cooker
- 4 tbsp coconut shredded
- green chilies to taste
- ½ inch ginger root
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 8-10 leaves of mint
- 4 tbsp cilantro chopped
For pressure cooking
- 150 gm little millets thoroughly washed
- 300 ml water
- 200 gm fenugreek leaves washed and chopped
- 3 tbsp cooking oil or ghee
- 2 cloves
- 3 green cardamom
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 black cardamom
- A pinch of mace
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 150 gm green peas frozen or fresh
- 100 gm green beans chopped into 1/2 inch pieces, frozen or fresh
- 1 small potato diced
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- Blend the below ingredients into a smooth paste by adding small amount of water.4 tbsp coconut, green chilies to taste, ½ inch ginger root, 4-5 cloves of garlic, 8-10 leaves of mint, 4 tbsp cilantro
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat.3 tbsp cooking oil or ghee
- Add all the whole spices in, sauté until aromatic.2 cloves, 3 green cardamom, ½ inch cinnamon, 3 bay leaves, 1 black cardamom, A pinch of mace
- Add and sauté until translucent.1 small red onion
- Add the ground coconut paste into the cooker, sauté for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Add and sauté for a minute until you notice oil separating from the masala.2 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder
- Transfer these into the cooker, and sauté on high heat for 2 minutes.150 gm green peas, 100 gm green beans, 1 small potato, 200 gm fenugreek leaves, salt to taste
- Add and combine.1 small tomato, 150 gm little millets, 300 ml water
- Add and allow this mixture to come to a boil on low-medium heat.2 tbsp lime juice
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Close the cooker lid, and cook until 1 whistle on low-medium heat. Turn off and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Gently mix and serve warm methi mattar millet pulao with cucumbers on the side or raita. Enjoy!
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
- Besides the vegetables used, you could include potatoes and soya chunks if you like.