Sprouted Black Chickpea Curry Recipe
Sprouted black chickpea curry is a flavorful side dish that tastes best with rice. The main ingredient of this curry is black chickpeas, which are a rich source of iron, protein, and fiber, making them an excellent plant-based addition to our daily diet.
The recipe for this curry is simple; essentially most of the cooking effort is in preparing the fresh masala paste. Simply sauté onion, ginger, garlic, tomato, and whole spices in oil until soft, add coconut and powdered spices with it and make a smooth paste. Then cook sprouted black chickpeas with potatoes or brinjal/eggplant along with the masala paste.
The sprouts that I have used are homemade. You could also use store-bought sprouts. Other than chickpeas, you could use pulses like horse gram, black-eyed peas, white chickpeas, and green gram too for this recipe. For the sprouted horse gram curry recipe, click – Molake hurali kalu saaru.
Sprouted Black Chickpeas Curry
- 150 g black chickpeas sprouted
- 1 potato skin-peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp. red onion chopped
- curry leaves
- cilantro chopped
- salt to taste
For masala paste
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 3 cloves
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ inch ginger chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 2 green chilies slit
- 3-4 dried red chili (Byadagi)
- 3 tbsp. shredded coconut
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- Heat cooking oil in a pan on medium heat. Add and sauté dried red chilies, cloves, cinnamon, fennel seeds, poppy seeds for 20 seconds. Add ginger, garlic, onions, and sauté until onion translucent. Then add tomatoes and sauté until they are soft. Turn off heat and allow these ingredients to cool. Transfer the cooled ingredients into a mixer and add grated coconut, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and make a smooth paste adding some water.
Making the Curry
- Heat cooking oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat.
- Add mustards seeds, and allow them to pop. Then add curry leaves, chopped onion and sauté until onion translucent.
- Pour the freshly made masala paste into the pressure cooker, mix well and sauté for 2 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add the sprouted black chickpeas, diced potatoes, and cook them for a minute or two.
- Pour 2x water, allow the mixture to come to a boil on medium heat. Taste for salt and adjust. Pressure cook on low-medium heat until five whistles, or until the chickpeas are soft and well-cooked perfectly. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve sprouted black chickpeas curry with steamed rice, or quinoa. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3
1 thought on “Sprouted Black Chickpea Curry Recipe”