Any mushroom fans here? If you are one, you are going to relish this recipe!
I love including mushrooms in our weekly menu, and this mushroom peas pulao recipe is one of my personal favorites. It’s my go-to lunch/dinner meal, both to prepare and eat, especially when I am too lazy to cook twice a day.
Mushroom-peas pulao is a quick and delicious one-pot rice meal for the family. It has whole spices, mushrooms, green peas, onions, tomatoes, herbs, and powdered spices, sautéed in oil to make a delicious masala, then pressure-cooked along with rice. It tastes best when eaten with raita. Continue reading to know how to make this yummilicious mushroom-peas pulao.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 – 4 servings
200g green peas, fresh or frozen
300g button mushrooms, rinsed & sliced
250g rice(regular or basmati)
4 tablespoons of cooking oil
Whole spices( 1 tsp fennel seeds, 3 cloves, 5 green cardamom, 2 black cardamom, 1/2 inch cinnamon, mace, 2 star anise, 2 bay leaves)
1 medium onion, chopped
Green chilies to taste, slit
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons mint, chopped
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
¾ teaspoon garam masala
Taste to salt
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add all the whole spices – fennel seeds, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon, mace, star anise, bay leaves and sauté on low heat until aromatic.
- Add green chilies and onion, sauté until onion translucent. Then add ginger-garlic paste, sauté until the raw smell no more exists.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle a pinch of salt and cook until soft and mushy.
- Add cilantro and mint, sauté for a minute.
- Add the powdered spices – turmeric, red chili, coriander powder and garam masala, sauté until the oil separates from the masala.
- Add green peas and mushrooms, sauté and cook covered for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. (You will notice that the mushrooms release water)
- Add rinsed rice and pour water – 350ml to 400ml depending on the mushroom water already present in the cooker. Stir in salt to taste and drizzle 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook until 2 whistles. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Mix well and serve mushroom-peas pulao with raita. Enjoy!
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
- Including a tablespoon or two of yogurt/curd while making the masala enhances the flavors. However, if you are following a vegan diet, you could use vegan yogurt and ghee for this recipe.
- Generally, white rice requires 2X times of water to cook perfectly. But here we are using less water since mushrooms release some water while cooking. So check and add water.
- Store pulao in the refrigerator for up to 2 days if needed. Reheat before consuming.
You can also tag your food recreations of this recipe on my Instagram @swaadista and using #SwaadistaRecipes
Happy cooking and happy eating ❤