For, when you feel lazy to cook yet want to eat something homemade and healthy, this leafy green dal recipe will fit in just right. It’s made by pressure-cooking lentils, spinach, dill, onion, tomato, garlic, and tamarind into a semi-thick curry consistency and later seasoning with spices and herbs.
I learned this recipe from my mother-in-law (we call this ‘massoppu‘ in Kannada), then experimented with different leafy greens and lentils (toor dal and masoor dal). And turns out that this combination of spinach and dill is our favorite. You can enjoy this dal with your choice of rice, quinoa, millet, dosa, ragi mudde, chapati, or even drink it as a soup – it’s that delicious!
Here’s a detailed recipe of green leafy dal made with lentils, spinach and dill.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 3-4 Servings
For pressure cooking:
One box of spinach, rinsed
Half bunch of dill, rinsed and chopped
150g of toor dal, rinsed
300ml of water
4-5 cloves of garlic
6-8 green chilies (or to taste)
1 small onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 small lime sized tamarind pulp
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds
2 dried red chilies, split into halves
A pinch of hing
Curry leaves, one sprig
- Add into a pressure cooker – toor dal, spinach, dill, water, garlic, green chilies, onion, tomato, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder and pressure cook for 6-7 whistles or until all the ingredients are soft and well-cooked. Turn off and allow the pressure of the cooker to release naturally.
- Mash the cooked ingredients well, add salt to taste and water (if necessary), and combine well. Cook this for 2 minutes on medium heat and turn off.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, and allow them to pop and sizzle. Then add Hing, curry leaves, and dried red chilies. Turn off and pour the seasoning into the dal and combine well.
- Serve healthy and delicious green leafy dal with rice, rice, quinoa, millet, dosa, ragi mudde, or chapati.
- Add salt and spices according to your taste and preference.
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you like it? 🙂
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3