Simple Methi Paneer | Paneer Fenugreek Recipe
Methi paneer is a delightful Indian curry prepared by cooking paneer in an onion-tomato-ginger-garlic gravy along with lots of fresh fenugreek or methi leaves, unsalted butter, and whole spices. Although making this dish is a little tedious, the taste makes up for it. It’s an awesome weekend preparation for you and your family!
While I love eating this with chapati, it tastes equally delicious with naan, rotis, and seasoned rice such as jeera rice and ghee rice. I hope you do try this recipe and enjoy it.
Paneer – Any good quality store-bought or homemade paneer works well.
Methi/fenugreek leaves – Fresh fenugreek leaves works best.
Sunflower oil – I generally prefer sunflower oil for making Indian food. Vegetable oil is a good option too.
Spices (turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala) – I prefer using whole and powdered spices from the swad brand. You can essentially use any good-quality spices from your favorite brand.
Onion – Any kind of onion work well in this, but I prefer the red onions (that are spicy.)
Ginger-garlic paste – I like to use a good quality, store-bought ginger-garlic paste. But an instant homemade ginger-garlic paste adds a lot of flavor.
Butter – Any unsalted butter works well in this.
Green chili – this one’s for the heat and I have used Indian green chili or hari mirch.
- Heat oil in a medium pan on. Add and sauté ginger, garlic, and green chili, for 30 seconds. Add and sauté the chopped onion until translucent, then add and sauté tomatoes until soft and mushy. Add poppy seeds and sauté for another 20 seconds. Turn the heat off, allow these ingredients to cool. Transfer everything into a mixer jar, add a bit of water and make a smooth paste, and keep this aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan. Add fresh methi leaves, sauté for a minute on low-medium heat until soft.
- Pour the ground masala paste into the pan, add salt, mix, cover, and cook on low heat until oil separates from the masala. (This may take up to 10 minutes) Add all the powdered spices and sauté for 30 seconds on low heat. Pour water to adjust the consistency of the curry.
- Add paneer cubes, gently combine, cover, and cook for 5-7 minutes with occasional stirring on low-medium heat.
- Lastly, add butter, garnish with Kasuri methi (optional). Serve delicious methi paneer warm with rotis, chapatis, or naan. Enjoy!
- Cooking pan with lid
- 200 gm paneer cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 1 bunch fresh methi/fenugreek leaves rinsed and chopped
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi crushed
- salt to taste
- water as needed
For the masala
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ inch ginger root
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- water as needed
Making the masala
- Heat oil in a medium pan on low-medium heat.1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Add ginger, garlic, and green chili, sauté for 30 seconds.3 cloves garlic, ¼ inch ginger root, 2 green chilies
- Add and sauté chopped onion until translucent, then add and sauté tomatoes until soft and mushy.1 medium red onion, 1 medium tomato
- Add poppy seeds and sauté for another 20 seconds. Turn the heat off and allow these ingredients to cool.1 tsp poppy seeds
- Transfer all the ingredients into a mixer jar, add a bit of water and make a smooth paste, and keep this aside.water
Making methi paneer
- Heat oil in the same pan.3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Add fresh methi leaves and sauté for a minute on low-medium heat until soft.1 bunch fresh methi/fenugreek leaves
- Pour the ground masala paste into the pan, add salt, mix, cover, and cook on low heat until oil separates from the masala. (This may take up to 10 minutes)salt to taste
- Add all the powdered spices and sauté for 30 seconds on low heat.¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¾ tsp kashmiri red chili powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp garam masala
- Pour water to adjust the consistency of the curry.water
- Add paneer cubes, gently combine, cover, and cook for 5-7 minutes with occasional stirring on low-medium heat.200 gm paneer
- Lastly, add butter, garnish with Kasuri methi (optional).1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp kasuri methi
- Serve delicious methi paneer warm with rotis, chapatis or naan. Enjoy!
- Add salt and spices as per your taste and preference.
If you tried this recipe, tag your food recreation on my Instagram @swaadista and let me know how you liked it!
Happy cooking and happy eating <3